What do I need for my first ferret?
What supplies do I need for my first ferret?
If you purchase a product or service linked from this page, we may receive a commission. We will never link to or promote unhealthy or dangerous products. 100% of profits will be donated to ferret charities. Read our mission statement
What you need
- Ferret Nation cage
- Fleece bedding - get it on Etsy! The bedding you'll find at Petco, Petsmart, etc. is all junk. I have pulled all of the best ferret bedding from Etsy on the marketplace. Also check below for my "essentials" list
- Litter boxes (1 for each large level in the cage)
- Puppy pads for outside the cage
- Food and water bowls
- Water bottle - this is a little controversial. Water bottles have 2 main problems: first of all, they can damage ferret's teeth, since they were designed for rodent incisors. Second of all, which is actually more important in my opinion, but is rarely mentioned, is just the fact that they don't provide enough water. Can you imagine having to quench your thirst drop by drop? Especially if they're eating kibble or dry food, they won't be hydrated with just a bottle. However, I still recommend putting a bottle in their cage as a backup. Some ferrets like to dig water out of their bowls, or let's say you get in an accident and unexpectedly aren't home for a few days and they finish the water in their bowl. It's better for them to have a bottle as an emergency backup than nothing.
- Safe toys
- Healthy, quality food
- Healthy treats
- Some kind of "soupies"
Your health and emergency kit
- Nail trimmer
- Styptic powder - to stop bleeding quickly
What you don't need
- Vitamin paste - mostly sugar, these do more harm than good
- Paper bedding - this is for rodents, not for ferrets
- Marshall food - don't listen to the pet store employees. This food sucks
- Dangerous toys - soft plastic, small parts that they can swallow
- Collars - these are dangerous, your ferret can injure itself if it gets stuck
Check out some of our favorite bedding, toys, and more below!
Do not reproduce without permission
If this article was helpful to you, please consider making a donation ☺️
No comments yet.